Monday, April 11, 2011

Week 11 completed and taking a beating

Ouch!  I hurt.  I can barely walk.  My legs are fried.

I met my dad yesterday for our 18 mile run.  We decided to get some training in on the Potawatomi trail since we have a half marathon on this trail May 1st.  We split the 18 mile run into two segments.  The first was 10.85 mile route on the trail, a quick stop at the car to change socks & shoes and head out of the park to run hills for another 7.29 miles. 

The Potawatomi trail is one of the most technical trails in the state of Michigan.  It's know for its rough terrain and being the "granddaddy" of trails in Southeastern Michigan.  The Poto is mostly hills, with sandy areas, rocky paths, exposed tree roots on the trail, you name it.  Unless you have experienced this trail yourself, a person will never know the true level of difficulty the trail is!   Today I am respecting the trail more than ever.  My legs are toast.  Dad said this would probably be the hardest work out I will have during my marathon training and boy, was he right! 

I am just hoping my legs feel better by tomorrow so I can tackle week 12.  This killer could not have come at a better time; it's cut back week!  I have three 5 milers (which I will probably add a couple extra miles here and there), one 8 mgp run and a 13 mile long-ish run.  Our 13 mile long run will be back out on the Poto.  I am sure I won't feel the bad some next week.  At least I hope not! 

Here is how last weeks training went.  I was far too conservative with my pace this week.  I have tempo runs and mile repeats on my agenda for week 12.

Monday scheduled: 5 mile run
Monday actual: 5.5 miles treadmill; 46:50 8:30 pace

Tuesday scheduled: 8 mile run
Tuesday actual: 8 mile run treadmill jog/tempo/push work out; 66:06 8:15 pace, JM 6 week 6 pack, push ups 4 x 15, planks 4 x 1 minute

Wednesday scheduled: 5 mile run
Wednesday actual: 5.25 miles run treadmill; 43:50 8:20 pace, push ups 3 x 15

Thursday scheduled: rest day
Thursday actual: 5.25 mile run - hills on treadmill, push ups 3 x 15, planks 4 x 1 minute, core work

Friday scheduled: 8 mile run
Friday actual: 6 miles run treadmill 50:20 8:23 pace

Saturday scheduled: 18 mile run
Saturday actual: cross train; strength training for biceps, triceps, shoulders, back, chest, core work

Sunday scheduled: cross train
Sunday actual: 18.14 mile run trail & road;  10.85 miles Potawatomi trail 1:42 9:24 pace, 7.29 mile run w/ hills 1:03:07 8:39 pace.  Total running time 2:45:07

Schedule Total Mileage: 44 miles
Actual Total Mileage: 48.14 miles
Weight: 122lbs

3 comments:

  1. I have heard about that trail! Props to you for going out there and making it through!!! Enjoy the cutback week and rest up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have heard of this great trail. I have a duathlon in June that will be run on part of it, but I'm hoping to get out onto the trail before then. I do love me some trail runs!!

    ReplyDelete