Sunday, January 31, 2010

Week 1, Day 1 of half marathon training

Although my next half is a trail half marathon, I have decided to follow a training program. I am using Hal Higdon's intermediate half training program. I have used his programs in the past for my half marathons and for the marathon and really enjoyed them.

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/inter.htm

On day 1, it is strength and stretching. Since my upper body is sore from lifting both Friday & Saturday, I will be spending my time at the gym focusing on lower body strength training and core work. I plan to do lots of squats, lunges, stability ball work, abs using the medicine ball, etc... I will finish the work out with 20-30 minutes on the AMT set at 20%.

I've also started researching trail shoes. My dad loves Brooks Cascadias and although they work for him, who knows if they will work for me. I currently run in Brooks Adrenalines GTS and have since February 2007. I plan to go to Running Fit this week to get fitted for a trail shoe. Unfortunately, I am going to do something I am kind of against. I will get fitted and then find them cheaper on line. The reasoning behind this is because I am not even sure I will enjoy trail running! Why spend $100+ on a pair of shoes at the store when I can try to find last years model at a discounted price! The reason I am some-what against ordering off the Internet is because most of my local running store plan and sponsor races and I want to be able to give back. I will be purchasing my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 10's in the next month or two, so I guess I can give back then.

I also convinced Chris to order new shoes. He doesn't run races, but I still want him to have a good shoe for when he does run. He runs the treadmill and road for cardio and may try to run a race with me in the future. He is going to try Brooks as well. I told him to get fitted, but he won't. Hopefully these shoes work well for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment