Monday, July 11, 2011

Rollie Hopgood 5K race results and new running stuff

I made a last minute decision to race a 5K on Saturday.  I've been running daily, but not putting in the time or energy to do any speed work.  I figured a 5K would be a great way to force myself to run fast.  I got to the race site about 45 minutes before the 9am start.  I hit the rest room and then ran a 1 mile warm up.  I made my way to the start line and tried to push towards the front.  at 9am sharp, we were off.  When we reached the one mile marker the volunteer reading the times yelled out 6:40.  Crap.  No way can I keep that pace.  I am not sure what I was at when we reached the 2 miles marker.  I was extremely hot and did not want to look down at my Garmin.  Around 2.25 miles, we ducked into the woods.  What a relief.  Out of the sun and into the shade.  I was trying to keep up with this guy who had been just in front of me the entire race.  I passed him, but a few strides later he passed me.  I ended up crossing the finish line in 21:55, 7:04 pace.  I had wanted to break my previous 5K PR of 21:38, but today wasn't the day.  My time was good enough for 1st place in my age group and there was only 1:09 between me and first female overall.

After the race I did a 1 mile cool down and spotted my Uncle, Harrison Hensley.  He looked great!!  I hope that I can still run a race at his age.  He's 79!  He took 2nd in his age group. 

Here's my gold medal.  :-) 




Official Results:
Time: 21:55
Pace: 7:04
Place: 1st / 17 in Age Group
Overall: 39/284


In other running news, I purchased some new gear.  I ordered a pair of Brooks Ghost 3's on a whim.  I have always ran in Brooks Adrenaline which are a stability shoe.  I found the Ghosts, a neutral shoe, on Running Warehouse for $59 plus an additional 20% off!  Not only that, but they come in a narrow!  So for that price, I figured I would order them.  Of course, I ordered the wrong size.  I like a little more room in the toe box.  I ordered another pair in a half size bigger and shipped back the ones that were too small.  I hope they work out.  If not, I will return them since I also ordered a pair of Brooks Adrenalines from my local running store.  They never seem to carry narrows in stock. 

The Brooks Ghost shoes I ordered



I am sure you can see Kara's book in the background of the photo.  I had a 40% off coupon for one full price book for Border's.  I was having such a hard time trying to decide which book to buy.  I had the Runner's Palate, Runner's Diet, Complete Book of Running for Women and Kara's book in my hand.  I decided to go with Kara's book.  I am saving it to read while camping at the end of the month. 



I also ordered 2 singlets and 1 short sleeve running top from Running Warehouse.  Again, it was a steal!  $39 for all 3.  They should arrive tomorrow so I hope they fit.  If not, RW has free shipping on all returns so no sweat if I need to ship them back.


3 comments:

  1. Way to go Speedy! I'm glad to hear that Harrison is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your placement! I totally super love Running Warehouse. :)

    ReplyDelete