Sunday, January 30, 2011

Completed: Week 1 of Marathon Training

Week one is done! 17 weeks to go until the Bayshore Marathon.

I've learned a few lessons this week. First, I have fallen back into the 8's. I went through this last year towards the end of my training for Chicago and I refuse to do this again. I know I can run faster. All of my races, aside from the Chicago marathon, were 7:30's and 7:40's with a 5K being a sub-7 minute pace! Going forward, I will push myself harder and run faster. Marathon training is more than just running miles each week. I really need to do this if I want to reach my goal of a sub-3:40 marathon.

Secondly, I need to get outside. Although it may seem like I could run faster on the treadmill since I can set the pace, I can't. I do not know why I find it so hard to run fast on the treadmill. Of course, mother nature doesn't look like she wants to cooperate this week. Maybe I should find someone to run with once or twice a week. I plan to run some of my future long runs with my dad, but right now I could use an extra push to get outside.

and lastly, I am giving up any and all alcoholic beverages until May 28th. I can't seem to handle a few beers and still be able to have a quality work out the next day. So good-bye beer and wine, see you in the spring!

Here is how my weeks training went.

Sunday scheduled: cross train
Sunday actual: 30 minutes stationary bike/7.5 miles, 25 minutes intervals AMT machine @ 15%, 4%, 12% cool down, strength training; biceps, triceps and core
Monday scheduled: 3 mile run
Monday actual: 3 mile run, strength training; chest
Tuesday scheduled: 5 mile run
Tuesday actual: 5 miles run 41:39 8:19 pace
Wednesday scheduled: 3 mile run
Wednesday actual: 4 mile run on treadmill 1% incline 33:13 8:18 pace (had negative splits), strength training; legs and core
Thursday scheduled: Rest
Thursday actual: strength training; biceps, shoulders, back, push ups 4 x 15, core
Friday scheduled: 5 mile pace (marathon goal pace)
Friday actual: 5 miles mgp on treadmill 1% incline 40:27 8:05 pace
Saturday scheduled: 8 mile run
Saturday actual: 8 mile run on treadmill 1% incline 1:05:50 8:13 pace, strength training: shoulders, chest

Total Mileage: 25 miles
Weight: 121lbs


Overall I am pleased. I followed the mileage in my training program and made sure incorporate strength training and core work.

3 comments:

  1. Great way to start things off! I'm excited to watch your progress through this training cycle.

    You've got a BQ in the bag this time around for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete